Is Variety Really the Spice of Life? I am going to try answering this question, and more, by committing myself to having, (at least), one brand new experience a day for the next year! Through this experiment, I will be looking to see the ways that 365 days of novel experiences might change me and affect my life. This blog will tell the story of each of these experiences and will also document my observations, ponderings and thoughts. I invite you to join me in the discussion and the novelty!

Reflections on a Year Plus of Novelty: Part ONE!

So, Dear Readers, I am a liar.  I admit it.  In my last posting several eons ago, I made a solemn promise to you that I would be back soon…  and then subsequently fell off the blogging band wagon entirely.  It has been far too long since I’ve last checked in, though to my infinite surprise, that has not been true of my readers.  So a big “Thanks!” goes out to the new people who have joined in the fun and the “old” people who are still lurking around.  I hope you have enjoyed the ride!

And despite some bumps and bruises, I am declaring the Novel Experience Experiment a success.  Yes, I stopped writing, and clearly that is a pesky detail that creates a dark cloud over the experiment as a whole.  However, while largely undocumented, my pursuit of novelty has continued throughout the prescribed year and then well beyond to the present day. 

So what happened to this blog, you might ask?  Well, I think it is fair to say that I was a victim of my own success.  The more novel experiences I got under my belt, the fuller my life became.  On the one hand, this is fabulous.  On the other, when you add a new business or hobby or responsibility, (or all of the above), to your already full plate that includes an existing business, toddler and new baby, some of the less novel activities have a tendency to slide.  And that, dear readers, became the sad fate of this blog.

But let’s not get stuck on the negatives!  It’s such a depressing place to reside when there are such positive outcomes to behold!  Because, in my humble opinion, the answer to whether or not novelty can lead to greater happiness and life satisfaction has been a resounding YES!  Yes, I am a novelty seeker, and therefore more apt to enjoy this type of thing.  But the feedback I received from the readers who chose to take part in the project backs up what I myself have found to be true.  Consciously creating novelty in your life leads to greater life satisfaction!  So, here is my own anecdotal report about the benefits of novelty:

1.     Stimulant for my brain:  I don’t know about you, but if I let my brain become too idle it finds things to take up time and space.  And usually these “filler thoughts” aren’t super fun or positive.  Some are neutral – like my grocery list and the awareness that I need to buy more socks.  But lots of the free space in my brain tends to get filled up with unnecessary worries; mostly about things that are out of my control.  Not a good use of my time or energy!  The more novel experiences I had, the more fun stuff I had to think about and the less room there was for ruminating on the negative or troublesome.

2.  Salve for my Impending Midlife Crisis:  Which leads me to my existential angst.  I’m becoming frighteningly old.  Despite the fact that I still feel like I am in my mid-twenties, my mirror and my calendar regularly tell me otherwise.  This fact, when dwelled upon, frightens me and prompts the emergence of this nagging little voice that reminds me that I’m not living my life to the fullest.  The most unexpected result of this project was the quieting of “The Voice.”  The more novel experiences I had, the less I felt as though I was missing out on something.  Or that life was passing me by.  Because I wasn’t and it wasn’t.  This was partially because…

3. Antidote to Procrastination:  …the experiment forced me to stop procrastinating.  I’ve spent years contemplating joining the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) movement, and purchasing a farm share.  Last Autumn, in the interest of novelty seeking, I finally did it!  This exposed me to a whole world of novelty in the form of vegetables, food, and cooking experiences.   For instance, did you know that brussel sprouts grow on a stalk?  Neither did I!

How many times do you find yourself thinking, “I should do that… someday...”  How often do these intentions get swept away by the routines and responsibilities of daily life?  This experiment prompted me to start walking down some of my previously identified pathways, and the results have been wonderful!  I’ve started a new business, streamlined my work, found new hobbies and past times, and exposed my children to lots of learning and experiences.  It’s been awesome!  My world has opened up and has led to the …

4.      Expanding of My Comfort Zone:  When I started this experiment, I had a very well defined comfort zone from which I infrequently ventured beyond.  As I added novel experiences to my repertoire, my comfort zone increased ten-fold and I became well practiced at being a beginner once again.  It was as though I had been wearing a mask that limited my vision.  Suddenly, it was lifted and I could see all the possibilities that the world was laying at my feet.  Things that other people did became options that I could use to fulfill my commitment to novelty.  My confidence increased and my anxiety decreased as my comfort zone opened up around me.

So whether I’ve taken a class in stand up paddle boarding or have consumed chocolate covered bacon the experiences have led to many positive memories and a great deal of fun!  I think each one of us can benefit from increasing the novelty in our lives, but there are certain guidelines I have discovered to keep things fun.  Stay tuned for Part Two, where I shall present my “Observations about Novelty.”  I know…  I know…  I’ve said that I’ll be back before and look where that got us!  So, Dear Reader, let’s consider this to be a trust building exercise…  Like a trust fall without the risk to your physical integrity….  And that falling part…  Cuz I’m still not going to be jumping out of an airplane anytime soon!  (To be continued…)

No comments:

Post a Comment