Is Variety Really the Spice of Life? I am going to try answering this question, and more, by committing myself to having, (at least), one brand new experience a day for the next year! Through this experiment, I will be looking to see the ways that 365 days of novel experiences might change me and affect my life. This blog will tell the story of each of these experiences and will also document my observations, ponderings and thoughts. I invite you to join me in the discussion and the novelty!

Day Fifty: My Completely and Totally Failed Attempt at Growing Sugar Crystals...

The title really says it all, here...  Not only was this an attempt at a novel experience, but it was a novel experience as it is my first, utter and complete, failure.  

I first was inspired to try this project after doing a Google search for projects that use Borax.  (Don't ask...  and anyway, I am sure you will find out why soon enough!)  From this search I learned that you can grow crystals with Borax!  I thought that this would be a really cool novel experience to do with Liam...  Until I did further research and discovered that Borax is toxic!  However, at this point it was too late.  I was fixated and dead set on finding a way to try to grow (non-toxic) crystals!

20 Mule Team Borax Natural Laundry Booster & Multi-Purpose Household Cleaner 76 oz (2.15 kg)

I then learned that you can do, (more or less), the same process with salt or sugar.  Being the little sugar addict that I am, the decision was clear!  So I boiled my water, saturated it with sugar, and immersed my eyelash yarn, (a fancy suggestions found here).  Then I waited....  and waited...  and waited for my sugar crystals to form.




And here you have it!  The end result of my experiment!  If you clicked on the link above, you can see a picture of what I had expected to find at the end of my project.  I think mine is prettier, don't you!  OK.  Fine.  It looks a bit like a drowned rat.  I admit it.  There's not a crystal in sight.  


Surprisingly, though, I had fun with this!  The simplicity of following simple directions.  Stirring in sugar until it pooled at the bottom.  The anticipated of the end result.  All of these things were fun for me.  Which just goes to show that true happiness can be found not in the end result or destination, but in how we approach the journey.  

1 comment:

  1. i tried to grow sugar crystals too and i didnt work either! lol i really liked your site though! i thought it was really cute:)

    ReplyDelete