Is Variety Really the Spice of Life? I am going to try answering this question, and more, by committing myself to having, (at least), one brand new experience a day for the next year! Through this experiment, I will be looking to see the ways that 365 days of novel experiences might change me and affect my life. This blog will tell the story of each of these experiences and will also document my observations, ponderings and thoughts. I invite you to join me in the discussion and the novelty!

Day Fifty-One: Tequila...

Blue and Clear Tequila Glasses, 'Tequila Blues' (Set of 6)
Perhaps I am strange...  But I find that I am ever so slightly embarrassed about today's novel experience.  My embarrassment spans multiple levels.  First, I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that today's experience was novel! I guess I am somewhat afraid that you, dear reader, will wrongly assume that I have lived under some sort of repressed rock.

However, at the same time, I am a little embarrassed that in this uber responsible, mother of two children, business woman/professional, older than dirt stage of life, I was taking part in these shenanigans!  OK.  Truth time...  I guess my embarrassment is not so much that I took part, as much as that I am about to admit to it publicly!  But here goes...

For today's novel experience I did a tequila shot!  I am not sure how I made it through college having completely avoided this rite of passage, but I did.  It's not that I didn't drink socially when I was younger, it's just that I'm not really the shot type.  I'd much rather savor a nice glass of wine or enjoy a frilly, girlie drink than pound back the hard stuff.  And, truth be told, the whole ritual just seemed too damn complicated for me.  And then, as I aged, it seemed less and less appropriate to try it...

But, when discussing novel experience possibilities with a group of close friends, it was brought to their attention that I had never done a tequila shot.  And then, unbeknownst to me, the secret planning began.  And then next thing I knew, I was standing before a shot glass, salt shaker, and lemon being coached on when and what to lick and suck by my husband and some of my closest friends.  


Now alcohol and novelty seekers have a conflicted relationship to say the least.  In my research, I've come across articles stating that novelty seekers are especially prone to alcoholism, particularly if they are at all sugar sensitive.  I think it is probably clear to you from my multiple dessert related posts, dear reader, that I am both.  Thankfully, while I will enjoy a drink from time to time, I've somehow avoided this pitfall.  But it is worth mentioning here, that the relationship between drinking and novelty seeking has been explored and it isn't pretty!

So the verdict...  I think I would chalk the actual experience up to "been there, done that."  My life has not been profoundly changed for having had a tequila shot and (thankfully) I have not become inspired to partake in this activity everyday!  At the same time, if it hadn't been for this experiment I probably never would have had this experience as I had previously determined that my window of opportunity had closed.  In a sense, this experiment opened the window and gave me an excuse to revisit my (lost) youth.  And, in a strange way, I'm very glad for this.  I had let the psychological confines of my age limit what I perceived as my opportunities.  The phrase, "I'm too old" had snuck into my vocabulary.  And every time I had this thought, I found these false limitations to be incredibly depressing.  

So, tequila shot, thank you for stopping me from limiting myself due to my age.   As silly as this experience was, a profound lesson was learned, and I will be taking this one with me for a long time to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment