Is Variety Really the Spice of Life? I am going to try answering this question, and more, by committing myself to having, (at least), one brand new experience a day for the next year! Through this experiment, I will be looking to see the ways that 365 days of novel experiences might change me and affect my life. This blog will tell the story of each of these experiences and will also document my observations, ponderings and thoughts. I invite you to join me in the discussion and the novelty!

Day Five: Strawberry Cake and Haiku

Today I felt energized to do something completely outside of my normal realm of experience.  As I find my life becoming more and more oriented to this project, I start each day with an idea of what I'd like to do the most.  So far, I think I've managed to implement my plan, um...  exactly Zero times. 

It's not, (usually), because I am fickle... Or unmotivated... Or lazy...  It's more that my life isn't really set up to be doing something like this.  I'm no Paris Hilton.  You won't find me jetsetting around the world with unlimited funds and time on my hands.  Instead, I'm the mother of a newborn and toddler.  I typically run a private, one-woman psychotherapy practice and work 30+ hours a week, (and will be returning to this schedule before I know it.)  And, right now, without my income, our family's funds are incredibly tight. 

Rule number one of this project is to have a completely novel experience everyday.  However, rule number two is to do this in such a way that my family's needs are never compromised.  So, while I typically start my day with a plan for creating novelty, I invariably end up finding myself on the mommy treadmill:  changing diapers, kissing boo-boos, nursing infants, and soothing toddlers to sleep.  And I love every minute of it!  However, to maintain my, (high), standards for myself as a mother, I am finding that flexibility is key to the sucess of this project.  Hold that thought...  I need to find my daughter's pacifier.

Ok...  As I was saying...  Flexibility...  At this point in the project I now have a mental list of options that I carry around with me.  Some are time consuming, some can be fit into a few minutes.  Some can be done right away, some take preparation.  Some can include other people, and others need to be done when I am alone.  And some just arise naturally and unexpectedly as I go about my life.  But thankfully, I usually feel like I have a plan B when my plan A invariably goes south.  While I hope to eventually have some more extravagent novel experiences in the future, right now, I hope my limitations can actually show my readers that finding novelty can happen within any lifestyle, schedule, or income level.

That being said, my plan for today once again needed to be put on hold and the day was drawing to an end.  A birthday celebration for a family member did unexpectedly lead to a novel experience:  Strawberry cake with strawberry frosting!  And it was delicious.  But while I technically had my novel experience covered for the day, I felt that using food once again was a bit of a cop out.  As we drove home that evening, my husband asked me if he could come up with another novel experience for me to do today, and offered to do bedtime solo so that I could do it.  I tentatively agreed, reserving the right to veto if necessary, and was surprised when he suggested that I...  write a haiku poem for each of our children...  Seriously?!  Where did that come from?!

than I had thought.  A season must be selected, imagery must be included, there must be a contrast made, and all must be done within a mere 17 syllables.  So I set to work, and here's what I came up with:
Haiku Baby

A quick google search proved that there was much more to writing a haiku

Liam

On a clear, still day
He is glimmering sunshine
that lights up the world.

Gracie

The snow falls softly
she is warm tranquility,
by rushing waters

It's probably not perfect, but I'm actually kind of pleased with the results and had fun doing this.  I'm thinking I might even make something crafty for my children using each of their poems... but that's for another day!       

No comments:

Post a Comment