Is Variety Really the Spice of Life? I am going to try answering this question, and more, by committing myself to having, (at least), one brand new experience a day for the next year! Through this experiment, I will be looking to see the ways that 365 days of novel experiences might change me and affect my life. This blog will tell the story of each of these experiences and will also document my observations, ponderings and thoughts. I invite you to join me in the discussion and the novelty!

Day Thirty-Eight: Breaking Bread, (Or I Become the Domestic Goddess I Always Knew I Could Be!)


In case you couldn't tell, several years ago I, like so many before me, got married.  And prior to the whole getting married, wedding-day thang, I spent the better part of a year in preparations for this one-day event.  I picked out dresses, and flowers, and rings.  I tasted cakes and tried out hairstyles.  I designed and made, (yes, made!), invitations and place cards.  And I went to one of your typical department stores and registered for wedding gifts.

Now, I don't know if any of you have had the pleasure of creating a registry, but I can tell you that dangerous things can happen when a bride-to-be has the registry gun in hand!  Because, it is at this moment dear reader, that the soon-to-be-bride briefly shifts her laser focus from her "BIG DAY" to all of the other days that will follow.  And despite how far feminism has brought us, it's nearly impossible to completely squelch the archetype of wife as Betty Crocker.  Complete with apron and perfectly coiffed hair do.  

Finding Betty Crocker

So, despite the fact that I was a Women's Studies major in college and have nary a domestic bone in my body, I just could not fully escape the image of myself, in full 50's garb, serving up a perfect Thanksgiving turkey on a perfectly set table to my perfect husband-to-be and perfect as-yet-unborn children.  Therefore, I NEEDED to register for an electric knife to carve my perfect turkey and a full china set to have on my perfect table...  (despite the fact that four years and two kids later I still don't own a pan to roast the darn bird in...  partially because I was unaware that they existed at the time that I was registering....)  Oh, the delusions of the bride-to-be!  

So, as I used my gun to zap the bar codes for all the goodies that I would need to transform myself into the vision of the perfect wife and matriarch, my fiance and I stumbled upon the bread machines.  I mean, really!  What could better prove my attainment of domestic goddess status than serving up a loaf of homemade bread to my adoring, perfect family?!  My hands shaking with excitement, I eagerly scanned the bar code and added this beautiful bread making machine to our long wish list of domestic tools.  (And, let's face the facts here...  For someone like myself to make this transformation  successfully, the wish list needed to be long!)

Fast forward three and one half years...  With vows taken, one successful business launched, and two children born, the bread maker has sat in its box in our basement completely untouched - a nagging reminder of my domestic failure...  Until today!

The Bread Maker's Debut on the Kitchen Counter
Today was the day that I embraced my hidden domesticity and baked a homemade loaf of bread!  

Krusteaz, Cracked Wheat Bread Mix, 14 OZ (Pack of 12)
Really!?  Did you think I baked one from scratch?  Silly reader!

Even if I HAD followed one of the recipes that came with my machine, it would have been RIDICULOUSLY easy!  This novel experience has given me a new found appreciation for the concept of "set it and forget it."  The bread machine did it all!  The only thing I opted to do was add some ground flax seed when the "add in timer" beeped!  And when it was done:



I had this absolutely beautiful, (and wonderfully tasty), loaf of bread to serve with our dinner!  


My Domestic Goddess Status is finally official!  Mission Accomplished!

1 comment:

  1. Just for the record... Those are not rotting bananas to the left of the fruit bowl. They are actually plantains!

    ReplyDelete