Is Variety Really the Spice of Life? I am going to try answering this question, and more, by committing myself to having, (at least), one brand new experience a day for the next year! Through this experiment, I will be looking to see the ways that 365 days of novel experiences might change me and affect my life. This blog will tell the story of each of these experiences and will also document my observations, ponderings and thoughts. I invite you to join me in the discussion and the novelty!

Day Forty-One: On-Line Interview

Have you ever had the experience where all of sudden more than one out-of-the-ordinary thing from the same genre happens to you?  As you know, I continue to be on maternity leave taking care of my precious little bundle and her precocious big brother.  While I have, without a doubt been on leave in terms of income, you might also recall that there has been no lack of work for me during this time period.  So, a few days ago, after yet another work-related, time-sensitive request landed on my doorstep, I arranged for childcare for my son and dragged Gracie to my office for a fun morning of filling out forms and faxing.  

Brother IntelliFax-4100E High Speed Business-Class Laser Fax

While in my office, I happened to answer my phone for the first time in months and was greeted by a reporter for the local newspaper asking if I would be willing to do a phone interview about "sexting" for an upcoming article.  While I have never dealt with the press in this capacity while being in private practice, in a previous life I have worked as the outreach coordinator of a rape and domestic violence crisis center.  So as random and bizarre as this experience was, technically it was not "novel." 

The New York Times

My day continued as normal following my interview...  Until I checked my work email and found yet another request for an interview.  This time the article would be on Associated Content and the topic was on healthy eating.  After reading the author's other articles and confirming her legitimacy, I agreed to be interviewed via email.  An  email interview definitely is a new experience for me, and today was the day that I completed this task...

Now, faithful readers, you might have noticed that there is a (sometimes significant), time delay between when I have an experience and when I post about said experience.  This occurs for several reasons...  First, right now my writing time is limited to when my babies are asleep at the same time.  This is a very rare event that typically only occurs late at night.  In fact, after Gracie was a few weeks old, this was my status on Facebook:  "Figured out how to care for two children:  spend all day with Liam while Gracie sleeps and all night with Gracie while Liam sleeps.  Caffeinate to stay alive."  It was a joke...  sort of!  (And clearly, the caffeinating part was dead serious!)  So, frankly when I'm a tired momma I choose sleep over writing.  It's that whole Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs thing again!  Sleep is more fundamental than blogging!  (Sorry 'bout that!)  

The other reason is simultaneously hopeful/delusional and neurotic/paranoid.  Delusional, because I am counting on the fact that I might actually get out of town and go on vacation sometime within this 365 day period despite the fact that I am going to be working imminently, have two small children who are not necessarily travel-ready, and am currently broke. Neurotic/paranoid because I don't necessarily want to broadcast that I am currently out of town for any crazy, immoral robber type, despite the fact that we always have a live-in house sitter for our 110 pound, (and quite territorial, I might add just in case any crazy, immoral robber types are reading this), dog.  So the longer the delay between the event and my postings, the longer the vacation I can take without informing the entire interweb of my current whereabouts!  

The beauty of this arrangement is that I usually have some time to reflect on my novel experiences before I write about them...  In this case, I can also show you the article that was the result of the interview referred to in this very post! And, unlike the sexting interview, an email interview was a completely stress-free process as I could choose my words very carefully and there was a much smaller possibility of being seriously misquoted!  Love that!

Overall, I was pretty pleased with my answers...  Until I realized that I had mentioned this blog in the biographical information of the interview...  and then further realized that the most recent post people would click to from my article touting the merits of healthy eating involved me admitting to eating an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream...  by myself...  and then stating that it was "better than therapy."  Ooops!

Even better, I followed this post with another one about baking a cake...  Double oops!  You know that part of the interview where I talk about sugar addiction???  Yeah, well...  Let's just say I have some first hand knowledge about that!  Of course, it was all in the name of research, right?  So I could be a better therapist?  Or blogger?  Ummmm....  Right.  To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment