Is Variety Really the Spice of Life? I am going to try answering this question, and more, by committing myself to having, (at least), one brand new experience a day for the next year! Through this experiment, I will be looking to see the ways that 365 days of novel experiences might change me and affect my life. This blog will tell the story of each of these experiences and will also document my observations, ponderings and thoughts. I invite you to join me in the discussion and the novelty!

Day Thirty-Four: I Work Out my Frustration by Needle Felting

What is it about Sunday nights?  It always seem that tensions run their highest as the weekend ends and everybody anticipates the upcoming week.  For working adults with your typical 9 - 5 schedule, this is understandable...  But for a 2 year-old whose biggest concern in life is that his sister not be covered with his blankets?!  That I don't get!

However, regardless of the reason, bedtime tonight more closely resembled a war zone than a soothing, end of the day ritual!  Hours after Liam's set bedtime, the house was finally quiet.  While my toddler had now transformed himself from a tantruming two year-old into a sleeping little angel, the rest of the residents of our home were ornery and cranky!      


To make matters worse, my original plan for a novel experience had fallen through earlier in the day and I had yet to fulfill my commitment to this challenge.  So after assessing all available options, I landed upon needle felting.  Because, and let's be honest here...  What better novel experience to have after a night like tonight, than one that involves mindlessly and repeatedly stabbing a ball of wool with a needle?!



What was even better was that I had all the materials assembled and within arm's reach of my couch!  Years ago, I was given a bag of wool and a felting needle as a "thank you" gift and I have been waiting to find the right time to sit down and figure out how this is done.  Tonight was the night!  So after watching a YouTube tutorial and reading several eHow.com articles I set to work...  

At first, it was entirely unclear to me whether or not my stabbing was doing anything to the shapeless mound of wool, but over time, the amorphous ball started to shrink and meld into a heart.  By the end, you can see the progress you are making with each and every stab...  It's very satisfying!  And much easier to shape and mold than a screaming toddler!

No comments:

Post a Comment